Re: Wing skin closeout spacing

Subject: Re: Wing skin closeout spacing
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:20:39
Bill,
I used the mixing stick technique, and found that a significant amount of
trimming was still reqired. I found that easily an additional 1/4 inch had to be
cut back fronm the edge (for the ailerons to fit) plus fairing/feathering of the
closeout 'layers' to provide clearance.  I was pleased to see that I could cut
the edge back in so far, and not have it generat a large gap when the ailerons
were operated. (i.e. the the radius extends forward on the ailerons sufficiently
to allow trimming and still present a minimal gap when done.)

So the choice becomes creating a larger gap between the top surface and bottom
close-out which is filled with adhesive caused by a thicker flap/aileron spacer,
or use a thineer spacer and trim back.  A 1/16 t0 3/32" spacer and subsequent
trimming worked for me.

Cleve Lee
A198 Mono XS Jabiru 3300
Detroit, MI

> I have held off putting the skin on the wings with the excuse that after
> they are on it is too late to change something inside.  Well now I have
> pulled the wings out and have to put the skins on them and I have questions
> about the procedure.  The manual says to put tape as a spacer on the aileron
> to space it from the closeout.  And to use mixing sticks to space the flap
> to the closeout.  Do I read this right?  Is tape enough to account for the
> filling and painting that is applied later?  If I give myself a little more
> clearance than a tape thickness I wouldn't have to trim as much off the skin
> to get full range of aileron movement.  I did not get mixing sticks with my
> kit so what is this thickness?  Is it the thickness of the tongue depressers
> (thinner) or the ice cream sticks (thicker) I use for mixing?  Does this
> flap spacer account for filling and painting?  Why is the spacer thickness
> different for the flap compared to the aileron?  Am I making more of a
> problem here than is necessary?  My picture in the manual of the placement
> of the spacers sticks in so washed out I can not get any help from it.
>
> Could anyone who has figured this out or sees what I am not seeing help me
> with this situation.  Greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill McClellan
> A164
>
> The Europa Forum is supported by Aviators Network UK info@avnet.co.uk