Re: Wing skin closeout spacing

Subject: Re: Wing skin closeout spacing
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 02:04:33
In a message dated 9/23/2002 10:55:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wilmac@gte.net writes:

> I have held off putting the skin on the wings with the excuse that after
> they are on it is too late to change something inside.  Well now I have
> pulled the wings out and have to put the skins on them and I have questions
> about the procedure.  The manual says to put tape as a spacer on the
> aileron
> to space it from the closeout.  And to use mixing sticks to space the flap
> to the closeout.  Do I read this right?  Is tape enough to account for the
> filling and painting that is applied later?  If I give myself a little more
> clearance than a tape thickness I wouldn't have to trim as much off the
> skin
> to get full range of aileron movement.  I did not get mixing sticks with my
> kit so what is this thickness?  Is it the thickness of the tongue
> depressers
> (thinner) or the ice cream sticks (thicker) I use for mixing?  Does this
> flap spacer account for filling and painting?  Why is the spacer thickness
> different for the flap compared to the aileron?  Am I making more of a
> problem here than is necessary?  My picture in the manual of the placement
> of the spacers sticks in so washed out I can not get any help from it.
>
> Could anyone who has figured this out or sees what I am not seeing help me
> with this situation.  Greatly appreciated.

For questions like this, I find it well worth the investment to call Neville
in England. If you dial 1010636, then the rest of the numbers, it rings right
through. The number are 011 44 1751 431 773. It is 10 cents per minute from
the states and you can have all your questions answered right from the source
in about 10 to 20 minutes - well worth the cost. He has been very helpful to
me in my Europe efforts.

Dave Anderson
A227
Mini U2