Wing skin closeout spacing

Subject: Wing skin closeout spacing
From: William McClellan <wilmac@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:39:56
I have held off putting the skin on the wings with the excuse that after
they are on it is too late to change something inside.  Well now I have
pulled the wings out and have to put the skins on them and I have questions
about the procedure.  The manual says to put tape as a spacer on the aileron
to space it from the closeout.  And to use mixing sticks to space the flap
to the closeout.  Do I read this right?  Is tape enough to account for the
filling and painting that is applied later?  If I give myself a little more
clearance than a tape thickness I wouldn't have to trim as much off the skin
to get full range of aileron movement.  I did not get mixing sticks with my
kit so what is this thickness?  Is it the thickness of the tongue depressers
(thinner) or the ice cream sticks (thicker) I use for mixing?  Does this
flap spacer account for filling and painting?  Why is the spacer thickness
different for the flap compared to the aileron?  Am I making more of a
problem here than is necessary?  My picture in the manual of the placement
of the spacers sticks in so washed out I can not get any help from it.

Could anyone who has figured this out or sees what I am not seeing help me
with this situation.  Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill McClellan
A164