Re: Primer and Paint

Subject: Re: Primer and Paint
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:07:42
Troy,
        More is better and too much is enough.  I put on 6 coats of
smooth prime and at that I had some thin areas after sanding.  You will
need more.  the best way to check is to look inside the fuselage after
sanding smooth and if you can see light coming through then it is to
thin.  More smooth prime and sand.   I probably have 7 to 8 coats of
smooth prime in areas and only 3 to 4  in the high areas.  This also
levels out the area to make it look nice when paint is applied.  Enjoy
sanding !!!!!!!   It almost done.   You also have to use the primer from
the paint mfg. that you choose.   I used PPG and their primer.  I did
what is called "wet on wet".   This way I did not have to sand the PPG
primer in addition to the smooth prime.  (I got tired of sanding).  Your
paint will be a bit heavier as you can not tell just how much "paint "
you have put on.  Smooth Prime says you must use the "paint mfg. primer
with their paint."   If you use Polyfibers paint, you must still use a
primer on top of the smooth prime and then follow up with a color coat.

                                      Jim Nelson

                                      N15JN