Re: Oil Cooler

Subject: Re: Oil Cooler
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 16:40:09
>      I am now flying my mono-wheel with the cooling mod's.  I mounted the
> oil cooler in front just below the spinner.  I used the old classic oil
> cooler and bolted it to the engine.  Then made an opening and made smooth
> transitions from the outside.  However, I could not provide much of an
> expansion duct to slow the air down but I can say that my oil cooler is
> working very good.  Here in Florida it gets a bit warm but my oil temps
> are running a bit cool.  In fact I may have to close up the opening a bit
> to raise the temps.  I'm running 190F to 195F in that region.  On the
> ground, in taxing mode I have seen it 205 to 210F.  So that mod
> definitely works.
>
>                                           Jim Nelson
>                                           N15JN

Jim,
Glad to hear it, nice when a bit of logical thinking shows a positive result.
One thing bothers me slightly, the oil cooler will see all the vibration of
the engine,gearbox,prop etc. I think I would want to mount it on the
cowling, awkward I know but less risky.

We recently had a very close look at the radiator of G-KWIP. Would you
believe it had a small crack in one of the welds. Under pressure it leaked
at a surpising rate in view of the fact that it was almost invisible. I
suspect it was a fatigue crack caused by thermal cycling. That particular
weld was close to a second weld in one of the mounting points which was a
bit heavy compared to the rest of the rad.

Graham