Classic oil cooler

Subject: Classic oil cooler
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:37:14
Message text written by INTERNET:DJA727@aol.com
>For a friend with a classic -- does anyone know of a mod to install a
larger
oil cooler in the classic cowling? Also, does anyone know what temps to
expect to see in the 912S engine oil temp in hot days in the climb? He gets

to 210 and does not let it go any farther. That temp is not near the limit,

so I was wondering if he needs to let it go farther to see how high it
wants
to go.<

Mine is a Classic and on advice I relocated the oil cooler to a position
below the spinner as the 912S produces more heat than the 912. This gives
it fresh rather than secondhand air for cooling. I found that a scoop was
needed to ensure air entered the cooler. I also fitted grilles to the
underside of the cowl and inflight adjustable outlet flaps. 210 degF is not
very high. I think it equates to about 99degC. I would not let the temp get
above 130 degC. During the test flying we discontinued sustained full
continuous power climbs when the temp reached 125degC. Although this was a
problem initially on a new engine, after about 15 hours the temperatures
dropped to more normal levels and only peak just over 100degC in typical UK
summer temperatures. Going over 100degC occasionally is a good thing to
boil off any moisture particularly during winter flying.

I hope this is of some help.

Nigel Charles