Re: Subaru

Subject: Re: Subaru
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:32:28
>As rotax brought out the 100 hp 912S then the Subaru then looked heavy and I
>guess prospective buyers went for the rotax "brand" knowing it would be
>consistent and reliable.
>

>I have noticed you do need to be a little cautious in a sustained climb and
>watch the temps. Although throttling back a few hundred rpm helped to keep
>it under the required limits. I'm also told there is an increase in those
>temps now by 20% but I need to check this.
>
>If anyone can advise me of the support route for the engineer would be
>graceful. My attitude is if I have problems and am not happy I will change
>it for a rotax in the future if need be. (The purchase price allowed for
>this).
>Kevin

Kevin,
The Subaru is not popular because it doesn't have a good reliability record
in Europas. Nothing wrong with the engine but the gearbox is fundamentally
flawed (IMHO) sprag clutches often fail, remember Continental starters? I
know NSI say it isn't a sprag clutch but the principal it uses is the same.
You might talk to Dave Hunter at Kemble, an honest engineer, (he worked for
the original importers,)

Graham