Re: Tri-gear vs. Mono wheel debate

Subject: Re: Tri-gear vs. Mono wheel debate
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:56:14
No, the touchdown was barely average!  Being instrument rated and well
familiar with that particular approach, it was obvious to me, even in
cloud, where/when heading and power changes on final approach from the
OM on in, and were more subtle than average.  All the while I presume
planning for a probable braking problem, on a very slick rwy with only
1/2 thrust-reverse available for some more yaw on the wrong side of a
crosswind.  Indeed the braking conditions were obviously bad, airframe
at times shaking and yawing a bit.  All 9,000 feet were safely used.
I know they practice in sims, but doubt this was all easy.  Will a sim
fully duplicate these landing conditions?  The voice on the cabin PA
initially indicated at least one shook pilot.

Best,
Fred F.