Re: Tri-gear vs. Mono wheel debate

Subject: Re: Tri-gear vs. Mono wheel debate
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:47:46

> "Tony S. Krzyzewski" wrote:
>
> > One thing that taildragger pilot's are unanimous about is that learning
> > to handle a taildragger has made them a better pilot. There is less
> > margin for error when handling a taildragger on the ground so you end up
> > having to unlearn all of the sloppy techniques you get away with in a
> > trike.
> Fred F wrote:
> There will unnecessary debate if phrased as such!  Nosedragger pilots
> would argue that not knowing how to do things which aren't necessary
> isn't sloppiness.  ;-)  Like the view that better IFR pilots can do
> zero-zero takeoffs and calculate groundspeed with a 2nd VOR.

Ah, have to take issue there  (why do I have the feeling that Fred is
pushing buttons and sitting back to enjoy the show?) - I'm entirely in
agreement with Tony. When I was learning to fly (Cessna 150's at Santa
Paula) I took time off at about 30 hours to do 10 hours in an underpowered
Citabria before finishing my PPL - and that made a big difference to my
Cessna flying.

Indulging in that favourite sport of watching other pilots land (and yep, I
do provide my share of the entertainment) its interesting to sit there and
try and pick out the taildragger pilots landing trikes... I'll bet you can
with a success rate of better that 90%.

Miles