Re: 2nd try - Dive Brakes....

Subject: Re: 2nd try - Dive Brakes....
From: Kenneth S. Whiteley <ken@kenwhit.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:26:34
 <3CC4D4F4.7070406@netconnect.com.au>

In message <3CC4D4F4.7070406@netconnect.com.au>, John Anselmi
<janselmi@netconnect.com.au> writes

>Trailing edge brakes, linked to the flaps, work well, but have the
>disadvantage that when retracted the drag is reduced, but so is the lift
>generated by the wing.  This can dump the aircraft on the runway fence.

Only if mis-handled. When one reduces flap/brake one has to apply slight
back pressure on the stick to reduce pitch angle and thus increase angle
of attack and maintain lift. Otherwise the aircraft accelerates both
horizontally and vertically and may indeed end up in the hedge. By
synchronised application of stick and flap one can maintain a constant
approach speed and an adjustable rate of descent. The same argument
applies to the reduction in flap in power aircraft and flapped gliders.
I have hundreds of hours in three types of gliders using flaps/trailing
edge brakes. The Pik20B has a massive flap extending to 90 degrees and
allows a vertical descent at well below VNE. It is very uncomfortable.

Ken Whiteley #19