Re: 2nd try - Dive Brakes....

Subject: Re: 2nd try - Dive Brakes....
From: John Anselmi <janselmi@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:28:52
G'day,

The place for Fergus to look for airbrake inspiration is the gliding
movement.  All but one make of glider have airbrakes with the
Schempp-Hirth type being the most common.  This type has perpendicular
plates extending from the upper surface, and sometimes both upper and
lower surfaces of the wing just behind the spar.  They create drag,
which reduces speed, but also spoil the wing profile in that region and
hence reduce lift.  Their main advantage compared with trailing edge
brakes is that when they are retracted the lift is restored and, of
course, the drag is reduced.

A variation on this theme consists of flat plates which lie flat in the
upper surface of the wing and are hinged at the leading edge.  They work
well and are not as heavy to operate as may be expected.

Trailing edge brakes, linked to the flaps, work well, but have the
disadvantage that when retracted the drag is reduced, but so is the lift
generated by the wing.  This can dump the aircraft on the runway fence.

I agree that expert knowledge is required to design brakes which are
strong enough, produce enough drag and do not spoil too much of the
wing's lifting surface.

Happy landings,
John Anselmi

--