Re: Humidity and epoxy

Subject: Re: Humidity and epoxy
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:38:10
> Andy Draper described it to me as a matter of chemistry (Andy -
> apologies if I've described this incorrectly). Apparently the curing is
> a reaction involving hydrogen from the hardener. Water provides an
> alternative hydrogen source, and hence affects the cure.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy

Seems indeed so.  The general objection in various epoxy data sheets
is a chemical one, where high humidity forms acids which affect cure
time, strength, adhesion, and/or causes amine blush and surface
tackiness.  Liquid H2O can penetrate many cured resins by osmosis if
given the time, a factor affecting boats and epoxy floor coatings
where especially freezing cycles causes blisters.  If mere humidity
can cause that, I can't find a reference.  Epoxy is generic for a wide
variety of stuff, and includes water based formulations.  So whatever
mfr says is humidity limit for their product, it's advisable to follow
I guess!

Best,
Fred F.