Torque tube disassembly

Subject: Torque tube disassembly
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:59:56
As someone who does not have a technical background I worried about how to
take the very tight torque tube assembly apart without using brute force that
might cause play.

So I built my tailplane without disassembling the torque tube assembly, and
encountered no particular problems doing it that way. Have I missed something
or have I accidentally hit upon a quicker and better way of building the
tailplane?

According to the manual, disassembly of the torque tube is required to ensure
alignment of the TP5 and TP6 sleeves. But if you insert the torque tube until
the TP12 drive pins are almost touching the rib, the torque tube will be far
enough inside the sleeve at the far end (about an inch I reckon) to ensure
perfect alignment.

The manual also tells one to disassemble the torque tube assembly in order to
correctly position the second trim tab drive pin. But there is a better way
of doing that. Leave the second tab drive pin until after you have fitted
your completed tailplanes to the torque tube assembly. Then get out the "T"
bar (part TSO5) that comes with the fuselage kit and use that to correctly
position the second tab drive pin. You will have got things right if (a) the
cross-tube of the "T" is perfectly horizontal and (b) the long end of the "T"
goes right down the middle of the torque tube assembly (i.e. where the two
brackets are). If you have not bought the complete kit, you can do the same
job by making a "T" from two pieces of wood.

John Heykoop
XS Monowheel #536