Re: Wing angle of incidence

Subject: Re: Wing angle of incidence
From: Nobody <foo@bar.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:03:31
Hi Rob and all.

I too reduxed the spar bushings in place using the factory supplied dummy
spar. My wings were stored in a friends barn, due to limited space in my
garage, and to speed up things I found it convenient to simply use the
dummy. Prior to this I checked the spacing between the holes against those
on the spars and everything matched perfectly. The 1/2" inch bolts supplied
slid in and out without a hitch.

 Now to the strange part: After some time, and having installed the cockpit
module I reinserted the dummy spar - just to make sure that everything was
OK - and found it impossible to insert both bolts! By peering into the stbd
hole with the port bolt inserted I found a slight misalignment - a half mm
or so. I started to tremble with all bad thoughts about my inability to
build correctly, when I pulled myself together and machined a new dummy spar
out of thick plywood and a new set of bushings. Dimensions were taken from
the cockpit module - and both the new dummy and the old one were brought  to
my good friends barn to check them against the spars. To my suspicion the
factory supplied dummy showed the same misalignment, while the one I built
fit perfectly - confirming that all was well regarding alignment. Much to my
relief!!

It's obvious then that a certain expansion  has taken place to the company
supplied dummy spar over time - after my work on the bushings. What's caused
it is a mysteri, but it's made of some sort of compressed materiel, and my
bet is that it has been influenced by atmospheric conditions.

Be cautious out there!

Hans.