Re: Gear position indicator lights

Subject: Re: Gear position indicator lights
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:38:07

>> I don't know, but doesn't that kind of defeat the idea of having the
lights at all. Why not just have a green LED for gear down, and no
light when it is not down and locked, or am I missing something?

Another point... ensure that the detection circuit can identify gear
down .. and LOCKED. Having a light just to show that the lever in the
gate could actually be worse than having no light at all as it could
instil a false sense of security. If that lock lever isn't pushed home
then a Europa's gear is not down.

Having said that, an indication at low speed that the gear is still in
its up gate is a pretty good idea as it acts as a trigger for overly
occupied pilots.

Tony