Re: Gear position indicator lights

Subject: Re: Gear position indicator lights
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:49:06

> To all those folks out there that are smarter than I when it comes to
> electronics here is my question.  Does anyone know of either a kit/design
> or an off the shelf item that will limit the time the gear position
> indicator lights stay on.  I have installed limit switches on the
> outriggers that verify gear position via LEDs.  What I am looking for is
> a circuit that will turn off the LED after the gear has been successfully
> raised say 1 minute after the LED is lighted.  I really don't want to see
> two bright LED during the entire flight.

I'm not sure how good your electronic skills are, but this could easily be
done with a 555 chip in Monostable mode.

Useful web pages:-

http://courses.ncsu.edu:8020/ece480/common/htdocs/480_555.htm
http://www.ee.ed.ac.uk/~kap/Hard/555/node2.html#SECTION00011000000000000000
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html
http://www.schematica.com/Freeware/Freeware.htm
or do a search for "555 timer".

It can also be done with various logic chips, op-amps or even just a
transistor (all circuits will need resistors and capacitors of course).

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590
europa-builder@ntlworld.com