Re: Terra Radio

Subject: Re: Terra Radio
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:29:40

Oh dear,

Hi Frank. Sorry to tell you that your 'tale of woe' is not unique. This
has been discussed on this forum before.

With regard to transmission being 'too loud', I can't comment.

However:

'Transmission unreadable' I'm surprised if it's always unreadable.
Others have found that transmission is unreadable a % of times. (in my
case, luckily, about 10%) and only with certain ground stations
(Tatenhill, Le Touquet !! etc etc)

The questions are:

1/ Does *anyone* out there own a Terra 760D transceiver which transmits
ok 100% of the time ?
2/ If so did it formerly not work, and what solution was found ?

I presume you have fitted the standard Europa antenna in the tail.

However the installation manual supplied with the kit is quite specific
about the antenna required, citing the consequences you have described
if this procedure is not followed.

Therefore, I had always thought that creating a flattish 42 inch
diameter ground plane somewhere on the aircraft (under wing?, back of
fuselage?), coupled with a perpendicular 1/4 wave antenna in the middle
would help alleviate the problem, but those who have tried have told me
this does not help. Farmer George Holt has tried this, I believe. Others
have spent money and sent the kit back to Trimble in the States, to no
avail, I'm afraid.

Best of luck. If you find a solution.... if *anyone* finds a solution,
please tell *all* of us.

Alan