Re: voltmeter vs ammeter [was: LEDs]

Subject: Re: voltmeter vs ammeter [was: LEDs]
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:58:29

> Mark-
>
> I was experiencing the same syndrome on my bike, which made me reluctant
> to ride it very far!  Pulling out the regulator/rectifier, I found that
> one of the three diodes was shorted, producing almost enough current
> to run the bike, but not enough to charge the battery.  After an hour
> or so of riding, the battery was discharged enough to not start again!
> Replacing the reg/rect solved the problem!  Bring back the kickstarts!
>
> Pops
> A036

Yeah, I've had that before as well, but only once.

BTW, I'm not sure what type of bike(s) you're used to, but have you seen the
regulator circuit on a Harley? Disgusting... it puts an SCR accross the
output and starts to short things out when it get's a bit too high (that's
what it looked like to me anyway, but there's a lot of silicon in there and
I might have scribbled the circuit down wrong).  Just think of the power
lost due to back EMF!

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590