Re: Re: Balancing Props

Subject: Re: Re: Balancing Props
From: Alexander P. de C. Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:07:39
I wonder if anybody has tried to apply the poor man's dynamic balancer
used on turbofans, when the all-singing all dancing equipment is not at
hand-
Using the vibration indication  from the cockpit, one run is done and
with all vibration rich rpm settings duly noted one places a
washer/bolt/weight at 12 o'clock on the spinner.
Another run is done and noted, the weight is moved 120 degrees, run and
noted, this repeated again once more.
Now one can plot the values on a piece of paper and figure out the
weight and location needed.
This works better sometimes than others and one time only I could stop
after the first placement of the weight.
Some people always have to try all the keys in the bundle, before
opening the lock.....

What I am thinking is that it should be possible to do the same here,
providing one can rustle up a little accelerometer of sorts to give the
reading......

Regards,

Alex