Re: Battery Earth Connection

Subject: Re: Battery Earth Connection
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 15:48:56
My ground cable (emerging thru tunnel from aft-mounted battery) is
attached to one of the lower bolts that secure supplied engine mount
to the Rotax ring mount.

Then...I caught Mr. Nuckolls article on grounding, and how to measure
milliohms - "When is Good Ground Not?"  His method is cool, per check
on a 1%, 60-milliohm power resistor.  Although each bolt securing the
mount presents a resistance, there are a number of them in parallel.
Curiously, then it looks like the lowest resistance to the starter is
---From that mount.  There's additional resistance of a longer #4 cable
to reach the top of the engine.  And as big as the engine is, but
whatever metal it is, there's a measurable resistance.  At what the
starter draws, the effect on starter current is small either way, but
2-3 more oz. here, couple there, we know how that goes!

Best,
Fred F.