Re: getting wings on

Subject: Re: getting wings on
From: Andy Draper <andy@europaaircraft.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:29:57

>>> Edward Gladstone <Ted_Gladstone@compuserve.com> 03/12/02 08:22pm >>>

Does anyone else have problems getting the wings on?  I am exhausted from
an hour of struggling with the wings.  Plane is close to flying,  has been
taxied several times and all seems fine.  One problem with the wings seems
to be the flap pin and the swivel bearing.  It looks like it should just go
right in but it does not without much jiggling and fiddling.  Even when the
flap pin engages, the wings are resistant to the last 3/4 inch.  Has anyone
changed the flap pin system to something that works?  Am I the only one
with this problem?
 Ken Carpenter
A123

We  found that the swivel bearing in the flap drive tube tended to rotate
and jam the pin  when the round end of the drive pin bumped into it.   We
solved the problem by  making a bullet shaped point about 1" long out of
redux on the flap drive pin.   This guided the bearing into alignment and
the extra length allowed it to be entered first leaving one free to align
the wing lift pins without the worry about the flap pin falling out.

We put engineers blue on all the points that could be tight on the spar and
gradually relieved the tight spots until the wings slid in smoothly  (the
mating faces of the spar bushes required a slight bevel)

Ted

Dear Ted
If the bearing is able to rotate more than 5 degrees in any direction then it
must
not be pushed fully in to the housing.  The design of the housing should limit
rotation to allow enough movement due to dihedral plus a small clearance
only.

regards

Andy Draper
Europa Aircraft