Re: Magneto Leads/Firewall Penetrations

Subject: Re: Magneto Leads/Firewall Penetrations
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:01:00
I always thought that mag. wire shielding was grounded at both ends. Am I
wrong on this?

As regards double-ended grounding resulting in a potential for shorts, I'd
always been curious as to why Rotax required such heavy cables (18awg) for
the kill switch wires of a CD system with its tiny currents. Now perhaps
there is a reason; the 18g would be (intermittently) capable of taking the
full rated output of the Rotax alternator in the event of the short you
describe and without burn-out. Unless you have your battery behind the
panel too, where is a greater current going to be sourced from betwixt
panel and engine?

Duncan McFadyean