Magneto Leads/Firewall Penetrations

Subject: Magneto Leads/Firewall Penetrations
From: TroyMaynor@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:35:09
Hi All,
I am planning ahead a bit on the number of wires and connections that will go
thru the firewall and I need some opinions if you all don't mind. I will have
a removeable panel and wanted to also be able to disconnect the mag wires
behind the panel at the firewall. I understand that there would have to be a
temporary jumper to maintain to keep the mags "dead" while the panel is out.
The outter shield must be grounded at both ends. If I pass these thru a
bulkhead connector is it best to ground them on either side of the bulkhead
connector or pass the outter shield thru its own pin within the connector to
maintain the outter shield circuit. I'm thinking it doesn't matter. What's
the opinion of those who've been there?
Also I have several small 2 and 3 pin mil-spec connectors. I was thinking of
using these to bring the alternator and starter engaged warning lite circuits
and the starter solenoid energising circuit thru the firewall also. Is this
an over kill? I figured I'd use them individually like that since I already
have them from surplus instead of buying a new bigger one.
For the wires coming in to the panel from the systems in the fuselage I have
a 37 pin "Amp" CPC (or circular plastic connector) Series 1 that I acquirred.
I won't need all the pin space but it's light weight anyhow. It already has
about 23 wires and pins installed from it's former use. They are size 20 pins
and I think they will carry about 10- 13 amps. I am looking for an extractor
tool to remove the old pins and replace them with new ones instead of
splicing into the existing wire that is there. Any ideas?
Sound like a plan?
Troy Maynor
N120EU