Re: Tailplane mass balance stops

Subject: Re: Tailplane mass balance stops
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:38:55
I can agree with Duncan's basic premise that the torque tube is
equally strong in both directions, and let's assume ditto for strength
of the fuselage.  The ultimate question is how much strength that is.
Whatever load is on the tail while pulling +3.8G's, when deflected in
the opposite direction at equal loading on the tail, will place twice
the load limit of -1.9G on the wings.  Actually more, since the plane
is nose heavy if loaded within CG limits, so the tail doesn't have to
work as hard in negative G's.  So looks to me, theoretically the wings
should break before the tail does.

Best,
Fred F.