Re: Tailplane mass balance stops

Subject: Re: Tailplane mass balance stops
From: Dave Simpson <davesimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:13:40
There's a bit of an airworthiness issue involved here.

The tailplane, like the rest of the structure is proven to take certain
loads calculated from speeds and control surface deflection.  In the case of
the tailplane/elevator, it's either 1/3 full deflection at max dive speed
(actually around 1.1 x Vne) or full deflection at Va, whichever is the
greater.  So if the surface and its supporting bits are stressed for these
loads, then it should not be permitted to experience more than these in
service, otherwise we're nibbling away at the safety margins.

Roughly the load on the tailplane is proportional to its deflection. So an
increase from +4 deg. to +6 deg. results in a 50% increase in load.

So you might break it off.

Dave