RE: Bolting copper to aluminum

Subject: RE: Bolting copper to aluminum
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:57:47
I manufacture parts that require plating of a sandwich of copper between
aluminum, and I can assure you that it takes only minutes for the aluminum
adjacent to the copper to be attacked in a copper sulfate plating bath with
no imposed current flowing.  It is essential to immerse the parts with the
plating current on in order to protect the aluminum from pitting.  True, in
an aircraft you are unlikely to fly through an acidic solution but any
electrolyte will cause similar pitting, just more slowly.

I would suggest installing a disposable aluminum spacer between the copper
and the aluminum bracket, and to use stainless steel fasteners.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070