Re: Bolting copper to aluminum

Subject: Re: Bolting copper to aluminum
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:12:02
Alfred --

Copper is next to stainless steel on the galvanic chart, and we use SS
hardware on ali without concern.  It would take many years for the
corrosion to insulate the ground plane, and the antenna would still
work almost as well through capacitive coupling.  It just couldn't
handle high xmit currents, which ELT's don't have.  I see no problem.

Regards,
Fred F.

Alfred Buess wrote:

> A simple question from a metallurgic ignorant to the experts out there:
> I have to bolt the copper ground plane mesh of my ELT antenna to the aluminum
bracket holding the antenna. Is there any risk of corrosion between the copper
of the mesh and the aluminum of the bracket? If yes, how can I bolt it together,
keep the joint conductive and prevent corrosion? Any answer is appreciated!