Re: Tailplanes

Subject: Re: Tailplanes
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:02:39
> Would it make any sense to permanently bond the elevators in place?
> I understand that the flight performance is exceptional with them at full
> size.
> Perhaps a compromise between removableness vs small enough to fit w/in 7.5ft.
> Better flutter resistance as well?
>
> Nic
> xs a145
> :)

The only gamble would be whether you'd need to remove the torque tube
to repair/replace something.  Looks like hacksaw through the torque
tube, and order up a new pair of stabilator cores and start all over?
Flutter would be moot if factory arrangement is fabricated tightly,
but some play is tolerable I would guess. There's a lot old planes
with play back there, my other plane included.  My inspector w/50 yrs
experience tells me quit worrying.

Regards,
Fred F.