Bending aluminum choobs

Subject: Bending aluminum choobs
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:26:47
----- Original Message -----
From: "nigel_graham" <nigel_graham@intercept.com>
Subject: Re: Bending aluminum choobs>
Nigel:

> >you can find a 3/8inch rope pulley .......................>
> >Failing that, perhaps a cast-iron blank from one the> >model-engineering
suppliers..............................>
> >..or bend it round the back of the cat's neck.....(now that IS a good>
idea!)
            In our town of 130,000 there isn't a cast-iron blank, except
perhaps at the regional tip (dump) - and one on Town Council.

> Of course ...If all else fails you might consider buying the purpose built
> tool from Aircraft Spruce P/N 367-FH. It's not too expensive, it's
designed
> for the job and it does it well.
            In my case that's a fiveday exercise, to which one might easily
add $30 just to have the "import broker" OK something he's never seen, plus
tax, plus plus tax tax. Like most of my ilk, the nearest fellow builder is
100 miles west, the next five up a thousand miles away. So Nigel's offer is
most civilized, but not possible here. If I did nothing but excite team
spirit - something will have been achieved......

> Add a "Rolo-Flair" pipe flaring tool (AS  P/N 212FB) and you have two
> perfect suggestions for additions to the Europa Club tool box - the sort
of
> thing you only use infrequently, but can't do without.
> And to start the ball rolling, if any Europa builder in the Hampshire (UK)
> area is considering using "proper" alloy fuel pipe - you're welcome to use
> my flaring and bending tools.      > Happy bending         > Nigel
            I quite agree that the proper tool is vital to achieve
success/efficiency. But being pre-dead (retired) and whose billable hours
are just below zero, I went for effectiveness instead. The device was built
in less than four hours, and I've been bending choobing like blazes ever
since. The FLARING tool is another item. There is NO substitute I'd care to
have, so spent close to $200 plus tax, plus plus tax tax (OK it's just
Canadian) for the Proper T'ing. It comes out to C$10 per foot just to flare
the ends - but it's worth it. I will make the same offer as Nigel, but
suspect I'll have few takers. To mitigate somewhat, I've duplicated the
difficult runs for future repair/replace need.
   Keep a stiff upper chin.
Ferg A064