Re: Bending aluminum choobs

Subject: Re: Bending aluminum choobs
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:51:31

>If
>you can find a (in my case) 3/8inch rope pulley with sides exactly 3/8inch
>apart, AND rising higher than halfway up the sides, these 'walls' will
>prevent the tubing from deformation outwards

Failing that, perhaps a cast-iron blank from one the
model-engineering suppliers, or a pulley _nearly_ the right size,
might be persuaded to do duty after massage on a friendly nearby
lathe. You'll probably need a heavier one than my Cowells 90, though!

But thinking further, my bender for 15mm copper plumbing pipe has
aluminium "pulleys", so that would be easier to machine, if more
expensive in raw materials.

In any case, I'm sure I've seen advertised little benders like
miniature versions of the one mentioned above - maybe their range of
sizes (usually 3, from memory) does not cover the aluminium pipe
preferred for fuel carrying. More research needed ...

regards

Rowland