RE: Bending aluminum choobs

Subject: RE: Bending aluminum choobs
From: Nick Hammond <nick.hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:42:03
Fergus,

> If you can find a (in my case) 3/8inch rope pulley with sides
> exactly 3/8inch apart, AND rising higher than halfway up the sides,
> these 'walls' will prevent the tubing from deformation outwards
> and it will comply with the bend - and not kink.

Another method is a bending spring with an ID equal to the tube OD (or vice
versa). These are generally available from plumbers suppliers. The 3/8 inch
size can be a bit hard to find but I managed to find an internal 1/2 inch
bender which had an ID only slightly greater than 3/8 inch. This needed a
bit of surgery to remove the reduced end (which makes it easier to thread
into the 1/2 in) pipe and substitute a flare (which makes it easier to
thread over a 3/8 inch pipe).

Best regards,

Nick