Re: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins

Subject: Re: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:40:01
Cleve,
When bonding the cockpit  module in,  if you have the bottom "canoe" level in
both
lateral and longitudinal planes, then by laterally getting the module level
(across the back of the head rests) then  each spar bushing in the module should
be level with each other.Then the relative alignment of the tailplane to
the wing should be correct. I found I could move or rotate the module slightly
to zero the digital level....give or take 0.5 degrees!
Cheers,
Tim

clevelee@cswebmail.com wrote:

> Within the context of this thread, I note that there has been little
> discussion
of the relative alignment of the tailplane to the wing.  I found that after
bonding in my cockpit module, one edge was slightly higher than the other.
(We're
talking about 1 degree here)  This led me to consider that the spar bushings
would not therefore be level, and in fact they were off slightly, consistent
with the positon of the module.

> My suggestion is to place a 1/2" bolt into each spar bushing in the module,
> supporting
two pieces of metal/wood of equal length, allowing support of a cross
member placed on top of them which would be positioned above the headrests.
A level can be placed on this piece to verify condition, and if the crossmember
is long enough, it can be used to sight across the top to verify the
'parallelness'
of the stab cross tube with the alignment of the wing bolts.

> Interestingly, after 4 hours of time spent marking the hole position for the
stab cross tube, they resulted almost perfectly on the cross hair marks, and the
whole assembled affair is pleasing to the eye.

> There is enough flexibility in the tail fin to allow setting perpendicular to
the stab when bonding on the top of the fusulage.  The important issue here is
that the flying surfaces are all square and we have assumed that the cockpit
module will always sit properly because the fit seems so correct.

> Said differently, not previously discussed recently (that I've been able to
> keep
up with) is the assumption of wing position, which is based upon the location
of another component not necessarily positioned consistently with the 'gunnels'
of the canoe.

> Cleve Lee
> A198 Mono XS
> Detroit, MI
>
> On Tue, 20 November 2001, Tim Ward wrote:
>

> > Shaun,
> > I had your problem in its entirety! The most important two thing is to;
> > 1. Ensure the Torque Tube is horizontal with the front of the airframe!
> > 2. Ensure the distance from the front of the airframe  to the end of the
> > torque
> > tube on each side is equal!
> > Then the aircraft will fly straight in both Lateral and Vertical planes.
> > I opted to leave the inherent twist in the canoe as these measurements COULD
BE

--
Timothy P Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,