Re: water drain lines

Subject: Re: water drain lines
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:08:48
Peter Zutrauen wrote:

> I wonder if the FARs are the same.... as the Katana which I rent has the
> fuel drain pipe extending a good 1.5 inches out the bottom of the fuse.  All
> these regs seem awfully confusing. Are homebuilts required to meet them? If
> yes, I wonder where a good (and relevent) reference might be.

When U.S. Regs. turn out to be clear, they are then revised!
Actually, 23.999(b)(2)(vi) sez "either located or protected to prevent
fuel spillage in the event of a landing with landing gear retracted."
Part 23 does not apply to homebuilts, except where the general rules
(Part 91) require "approved" systems, such as anti-collision lighting,
and certain TSO'd items (ELT and xponder).  I find Part 23 an
excellent source for good airworthiness practices, though.  During the
FAA inspection as a practical matter, the inspector may have Part 23
in the back of the brain in gigging something, but can also just gig
something cuz they don't like it!  And wouldn't it be fun to throw
Part 23 back at 'em, though tactfully.  AOPA web site has easiest
download; landings.com if you're not a member.  Maybe even faa.gov?

Regards,
Fred F, A063