Re: Tape Adhesive solvent?

Subject: Re: Tape Adhesive solvent?
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:53:02
> O.K., I'll bite. What the heck does "polar"  or  "non-polar" refer to?
>
> Jeremy Constant

Hi Jeremy,

The atoms that make up molecules hang together by sharing their electrons,
in a fashion that allows them to fit together harmoniously, sort of like
jigsaw puzzle pieces.  When one of the atoms has a strong affinity for
electrons (such as oxygen), the electron cloud is displaced toward that
atom, giving its end of the molecule a negative charge, and leaving the
other end charged positively.  This is what makes water a very polar
solvent, and thus not miscible with the typical non-polar hydrocarbons,
whose charges are distributed in a more balanced arrangement.

(Actually, Rob, I'm not a chemist, but rather an electrical
engineer/physicist.  Still, I feel at least as competent addressing selected
questions in chemistry as I do in airplane building, even after finishing a
Europa!  Corrections and clarifications are invited, if I overreach my
limits in any area.)

Dave DeFord
N135TD