Re: Color affecting skin temperature

Subject: Re: Color affecting skin temperature
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 07:52:19
I haven't seen the original report, but I'm informed that more dangerous
than high ambient temperatures is parking on dark tarmac at lower ambients
with a dark surfaces under the aeroplane - as a few Europas are finished:
this heat soaks the structure to a greater degree.

This came from Glenn Waters who built what I consider to be the finest
composite aircraft I have ever seen (Berkut G-REDX) which is painted
silver - a dispensation he obtained based on his expertise (ex F1 engineer
and race car manufacturer) and the fact that his aircraft is kept in an
airconditioned hangar, and is fitted with multiple (internal) temperature
sensors.