RE: Stall Warner

Subject: RE: Stall Warner
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:22:57

>IMHO stall strips are advisable to tame the flaps down stall. Think
about
>the situation when the plane is flying under full power, quite stable
but
>below power off stall speed.

I would second that. The europa will sit in a quite stable configuration
below the power off stall speed with full power, especially if you have
the prop set fully fine. At altitude I have demonstrated the aircraft
sitting in a nose high attitude, controlled  descent with no airspeed
registered due to loss of flow over the pitot. Turn the power off and it
is instant (as in, hello spin) wing drop.

The stall strips on the classic wing introduce a very noticeable buffet
which nobody who is competent to fly an aircraft can avoid.

Next time you go flying take the plane up to 5000' feet agl and spend an
hour or so exploring the flap down stall characteristic of the aircraft
but remember.. if you do wing drop it's stick forward, full opposite
rudder. And it goes down _really_ quickly!

Tony