Re: fuel tank leaks

Subject: Re: fuel tank leaks
From: ami mcfadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:22:31
I had such a problem on the plastic tank of Kitfox some years back. There is
nothing I know of that gets a grip on polyethylene, except heat welding. The
owners of poly. canoes use a hot-glue gun to repair leaks; but obviously
that would not be advisable for a fuel tank without extensive tests

For the Kitfox, returning to the factory was not an allowed option. But I
reasoned that the primers made to enable car bumpers to be
painted would provide a key. So thats what I injected followed by 2-pack
lacquer. The hole was just a pin prick and the method seemed to work,
although the rest of the tank always gave the impression of sweating; not
wet but just a vague whiff of fuel all the time and always "a pint" off full
when next flown. The latter may have been due to slow tank-stretch under the
loads of a full tank.

Duncan McFadyean