Re: Accidents

Subject: Re: Accidents
From: Paul Mansfield <PaulM@nsfield.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:15:01
AFAIK, the handling was much improved by the XS tailwheel - longer
wheelbase, lower deck angle, higher polar moment of inertia.  But many
(most?) of the early accidents were simply that - early.

The handling characteristics were, relatively, unknown (there are very few
monowheel powered a/c - just a few SLMGs) so the learning curve was steep
and the levels of experience were low.

With more experienced pilots, with more hours, available to teach the right
techniques to each new batch of first flights, the accident rate dropped.

AFAIK, the technique is not difficult, just different.  Learn it and you
will be fine; treat the mono (any mono) like "just another taildragger" and
it will bite.

IMVHO.

<I cannot seem to find the html address of the British government air
accident agency>

http://www.aaib.detr.gov.uk/index/index.htm - called the Air Accidents
Investigation Branch (part of the Department of Transport, like in the US)

http://www.aaib.detr.gov.uk/bulletin/bulletin.htm will give you a month by
month accident rsum.

HTH

Paul, #383