Re: Cabin Heater

Subject: Re: Cabin Heater
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:53:09
Thanx for posting the details of your installation.  I was concerned
that defrost may not be effective when you really need it, like a dewy
morning before full engine warm-up.

How do you scoop the air from the duct?  Do the hoses just point into
the cooling air  stream?

I was considering making a manifold to fit on top of the aft part of
the duct (externally), almost full width.  Flush with the duct is a
panel-controlled flapper valve which opens down into the hot air
stream.  Then, if you also add some arrangement to the defrost/heat
outlets in the cabin (like a sliding door), you can balance them like
you can in your car.  Plus, with full heat setting on the flapper, but
restriction on the cabin outlets, you get a cowl flap effect you say
is desirable for real cold days.  How's this sound?

Also, with the trigear, I can easily route cabin heat to exit either
side of the tunnel, near the floor below the knees.  Is this the best
place?  I know from previous posts that the footwells are not good,
and surmise panel-level hot air can be undesirable as there's
greenhouse heating from all the 'perspex' on sunny but cold day.

Regards,
Fred F., A063