Re: Cabin Heater

Subject: Re: Cabin Heater
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:11:57

Hi All,

There is another method for cabin heat that I used.  Since I do live in the
far North (not Florida) cabin and carb heat are important - trust me!!

Cliff & I pulled the heat source off the back of the radiators.  Basically
installed a couple of hoses, one for carb heat and one for cabin heat into
the aluminum tunnel behind the radiators.  These run into RV style heat
boxes from aircraft spruce.  Its simple, lightweight, cheap, and avoids CO
problems.  I also ducted the heat up to the windshield for defrost.
Basically its perfect except for one thing (its always just one thing isn't
it!!!).  The defrost works really well and so does the carb heat - but the
cabin still gets a bit cold.  I think it will work just fine for most
locations and is probably way to much heat for Florida but what the heck.

I swiped the idea from Ken Whittington in Calgary Canada (another chilly
place) and his works good - I may be able to get some more heat out of mine
with a cowl flap which I will install this winter to help the engine run
hotter when its cold out.  This should make my cabin heat quite a bit
warmer.

Later

Bob Jacobsen
A131 N165BB