Re: Inventory Database / Builders log

Subject: Re: Inventory Database / Builders log
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 15:53:25
Hi Steve,
Thought I'd throw my hat in on this discussion.  My background is in ERP systems
for manufacturing companies and I'm big on knowing what's in stock and where.
But less so for this project.

You'll find that some of the hardware is partially used in one place, then the
open baggy put away for a period of time until some more pieces are required.
Wing hardware is a good example, where you'll use half the hardware from the
bag, and then come back later when completing the other wing.

I sorted my hardware into general number groupings in plastic parts boxes,
separating
groups of hardware baggies using 'dividers' made from shirt cardboard.
The larger parts were grouped generally on shelves (e.g. "W's" "F's", FL's etc.)
When it comes time to build a section, I pull the diagram from the loose
leaf instruction manual, walk over to my parts storage area and retrieve the
parts
by part no. and what it looks like.

I always put back the unused parts in the same bag they came in, usually slicing
only a corner off the bag, and put the bag back where I got it.

I was going to label all my locations, but there is limited benefit in going to
all the database effort since the arrival of the parts has already been
documented,
and I am the only person handling the inventory.

Re pics, I agree - use a digital camera.

Oh - and for tools, I havn't seen much mention here, but buy the 8 tool sanding
set from Permagrit and the 2 foot I beam straight edge.  Our british friends
here have done an outstanding job on this product.  At $140 U.S. its very
expensive,
until you find yourself using 2 or three of them almost every day your
working.  There is no comparison to even the best emory cloth or sandpaper
solution.
Also, the tool list on the club site also recommends a Dremel tool.  I
would say that as mandatory as the Dremel tool is, so is the flexible shaft
attachment.

So goes my 2 cents worth.

Cleve
A198 Mono XS

On Sat, 02 June 2001, ScramIt@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, while awaiting my kit, I thought I'd use this time to develop a database

> for the parts inventory. My question is, is this a good idea or a waste of
> time? Sometimes computers can make jobs harder, with having to keep the
> database up to date. Does anyone have one already? If so, can I get a copy? I

> was also thinking of putting my builders log in a database. Any good Ideas
> for fields? Date, time, room temp, barometer, hygrometer, batch# of resin,
> work done, etc.
>
> I have a small network of computers at home and hooking one into the shop
> won't be a problem. I was thinking of sticking a web cam in the corner, so
> you could come buy anytime and see the shop. "Bill, Bill, look he's got the
> outriggers on top of the wings! Think we should tell him?"
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
> A217

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe