Re: Inventory Database / Builders log

Subject: Re: Inventory Database / Builders log
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:35:55
Steve, what you propose is fine, as an important factor is the build
experience, which you tailor to your own likes.  I'll comment on
necessity, should it help.  The physical inventory doesn't take long,
and a database will have little subsequent utility, IMO.  Of
importance is thoroughly studying the entire manual, and in the
inventory process, relating how those parts come into play down the
road.  E.g., I then stored them in big plastic storage boxes, labeling
them fuel, brakes, control sys, etc.

Assuming you're in the U.S., one of two purposes of the build log is
to show you did 51% of the work (and vital should one ever have to
sell an incomplete project).  The other they say is to "clearly show
methods of construction and quality of workmanship."  But amateur
photos under ambient light messed up with flash, and brief narratives,
will not be very effective for FAA in this regard.  It's mostly moot
with a kit, and the important items are visible for FAA inspection as
they will be for maintenance.  Documenting conditions for resin mixes
isn't really required, as on the off-chance an FAA inspector or DAR
(steeped in WWII airworthiness technology) has a clue about
composites, attention to hygrometer readings and such can be covered
in build log narrative.  I would more carefully document any kit
modifications with airworthiness implications, as to basis, precedent,
and techniques not easily visible, plus interim (optional) inspections
by EAA Tech Counselors, IA's or A&P's.  These areas will certainly be
meaningful to FAA.

I use M$ Word, with imported .jpg's from a digital cam with macro,
flash, and mechanical zoom.  The freeform style of this, printed on
photo paper comes out great and is quick.  Don't over-pay for
zillion-pixels, unless you want to for other uses.  Doesn't help much
in small picture frames.  Don't forget, now, backups on Zip
disks or such, stored in a #10 mayonnaise jar....:)

Enjoy the build!

Regards,
Fred F., A063