Re: Gap Seals

Subject: Re: Gap Seals
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:19:32
Climb wasn't the best word to use.  I like "L/D" too.  Or just minimum
sink?

Don Dykin's book, "The Design of the Super-efficient Europa Wing," has
graphs of chordwise pressure distributions at varying lift
coefficients.  These are probably theoretical (computer-derived) vs.
tested, but they clearly show sharp roll off in pressure differential
at a point forward of the gaps, more so in cruise.  However, given the
chordwise size of the flaps, there may some small but measurable
benefit in sealing those things.  There is even hint in the text that
the pressure distribution is instrumental in maintaining laminar flow
as far back as possible, but that's putting words in _his_ mouth,
which I don't wish to do!

OTOH, as one looks at the more forward underside gap, and the top side
gap back where it makes no difference, that some leakage is maybe even
proverse.  Witness the experiments way back where they used a series
of holes and a pumping system to suck down the boundary layer.  But
that's a retired accountant playin' aerodynamicist....

Regards,
Fred F., A063