Re: Gap Seals

Subject: Re: Gap Seals
From: david joyce <davidjoyce@beeb.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:17:44
Fred, Seems to be a bit of a misconception here. Gliders virtually never
climb in a true sense, only in fact when they are being winch launched or
when slowing up to enter a thermal. For the remaining 99% of the time they
are going quietly down hill in their air mass, even though they go out of
their way to find a rising air mass. Glider design aims for optimum
lift/drag ratio between their thermalling speed of about 50 knots and the
between thermal cruise of up to 100 knots.Increasing the L/D ratio is good
news for Europas too. Regards, David Joyce