Cutting access panels

Subject: Cutting access panels
From: EuropaChris@netscape.net
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:32:29
Hi, all.

I'm going to cut some access panels in the underside of our wings tomorrow for
the strobe units.  I am planning to mount the strobes (Aeroflash) right at the
end of the spar at the wingtip, vertically to the spar by floxing in a set of
bolts.  The panel will be right by strobe unit, sized to just let the strobe
pass through flat, as there is no room to tip it up on end to bring it through
the small way once the skin is on.

Anyway, the question I have is what is the best way to actually cut out the
panel
---From the skin?  I have a large Permagrit disk, some very small Dremel
engraving
bits, and a plain 'ol hacksaw handle (the kind that holds the blade from
the end.

I want to end up with a decent cut, not something that looks like it was done
after
a few pints of Guiness.  Using a Dremel gives me the heebie-geebies as it's
too easy to 'slip'.  It's not like a hole where you can start small and size
it gradually.  A panel has to be done in one shot.

Thanks for any tips, gang.  Once the panel is out, it's easy from there with 3
layers of BID and some anchor nuts.  Ditto for the strobes on the tips.

Chris
A159