Re: Mono wheel fairings

Subject: Re: Mono wheel fairings
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:48:40

Actually the fairing isn't that hard to make.  The fixed rear portion
actually comes pretty close to the tire if you wrap it around the side.  I
carved mine from a block of blue foam covered with two layers of bid.  The
sides wrap around the tire and are 2 inches high and terminate in a blunt
end to meed the foreward portion.  This also keeps the front section a bit
shorter so it clears the ground well.

The front part was also carved from blue foam and covered with three layers
of bid.  After I removed the foam, aluminum brackets were riveted on to
attach it to the gear leg.  When the gear is retracted the front part comes
up and fits flush against the belly - the back edge blends in to the
attached rear part.  The brake is entirely inside the fairing.  So far in
over 50 hours of flying including landings on all types of surfaces the
fairing is perfect.  Heat has not been a problem with any of the parts.

It would interfere with the factory trailer - and there are two solutions.
One is to remove the front part for trailering - just 2 screws and two bolts
take it off.  This would be good if you don't trailer much.  On my trailer
we don't use the factory method of holding up the fuselage.  Instead a
stainless tube support attackes to the rear wing fairing using the standard
pip pin.  One on each side holds the fuselage up fine and nothing attaches
to the gear leg.  This has the advantage of not scratching the leg's finish.

So there it is.  No moving parts except for the gear leg and everything fits
in flush.  The bottom of the tire is exposed but it sure looks better and I
am sure the drag is greatly minimized.

Photos can be found on my website at www.galaxyhobby.cpm/europa.htm

I plane on adding better pictures of the gear fairings to the mods tab soon,
but there are some pictures of it on there now.  I will also be adding a
section on my trailer in the next couple of months.

Be advised my ISP went bankrupt last week so my web site might be down for
the next few days - but it WILL be back up soon.  I can e-mail phots in the
meantime if you e-mail me at this address;

info@galaxyhobby.com

Bob Jacobsen
A131