Re: Fill and Bake, or Bake and Fill?

Subject: Re: Fill and Bake, or Bake and Fill?
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 00:49:33
Dan,

It should be easy to reshape the trailing edges with just the heat from
a hair drier.  The epoxy will soften before it gets too hot for your
fingers, so there is no danger of melting the foam.  If you use a real
heat gun, you risk overheating the layup.  The only problem is that the
"glass transition temperature" of the epoxy rises after you have heated
it to the point of softening, so you would have to get it even hotter to
soften it the next time.  Try to get it the way you want it without a
lot of repetitions.

While I've adjusted many thin fiberglass sections using this technique,
I would not even consider it for twisting an aileron.  Perhaps that
could be done over several hours in the hot sun, or in a post-cure oven,
but I've never tried it myself.

Dave DeFord, A135