Re: Crimping....

Subject: Re: Crimping....
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:09:33
Message text written by Brian Rauchfuss - PCD
>Bob Nuckolls who describes soldering D-sub
> connectors and even #2 or #4 wire, large ring terminals.  The latter I
> think is questionable, but only due to the difficulty of getting
> enough heat, fast enough, on the thing to ensure good solder flow
> without making an ugly mess.

How else do you connect #2 or #4 wires? <

I used the filleting and soldering technique as described with no problems.
First make sure the terminal is clean. Use a little extra flux to ensure a
good solder flow and a blow torch with a narrow flame. Mount the wire end
in a vice with aluminium jaws (to conduct heat away from the wire
insulation). There may be a small amount of insulation discolouration but
this can be covered with a short length of heat shrink.

Nigel Charles