Re: Surface finishing

Subject: Re: Surface finishing
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:19:59
Couple things, Steve.  I thought that post-curing is largely
ineffective unless done within a couple weeks of a room-temperature
cure.  Thus it applies only to the few such surfaces required of
current XS kits.  Has the Europa manual guidance in this regard
changed?

The Smooth Prime is a flat finish, aka porous, especially after
sanding.  The more delay between application and finish coating is
more time for contaminants to accumulate in the surface that cleaners
will not completely remove.  The Sherwin-Williams web site has an
excellent document with color pics, discussing all the bad things that
then result.  The way around this I'm using is to omit final prime
coats until ready to finish coat.  Cleaning, sanding, and final
priming hopefully will minimize the problem.

I wouldn't be concerned over aging or "stressing" the primer for any
particular advantage.  There can be problems with certain solvent
based coatings, if the stuff is too fresh or not two-part, but neither
System III nor PolyFiber advise caution for their water-reducible
products.  As S-W implies in their doc, the causes of coating problems
are often anything but intuitive for us novices.

See www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/

Regards,
Fred F., A063