Surface finishing

Subject: Surface finishing
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:26:03

I have been eager to get my fuselage into the garage since all of the
flying surfaces are complete and the lids are glued on the the wings.
However  I have decided to hold short for awhile.  I had picked up one
of those small palm sanders and put in some hours with it and super fill and was

impressed on how smooth I was able to get some of the joints and imperfections.

My plans are to spend time to go with the poly fiber UV smooth prime route
and  to take whatever time it takes to get everything  coated and
smoothed out.  I haven't started yet but my plan of attack is to roll on
three coates as noted in the instruction book and  then use the HVLP
sprayer to get the close out ends of the flight controls and other areas
inaccessable to the rollers. Then continue  to give the final coats with
the sprayer instead of the roller. Then sand, sand, sand. The results will then

be stored for many months (years?) Until ready to be complted with the final
aircraft finishing.  Then my thoughts are to take this whole mess into the
back yard during the middle of the Arizona summer. I would then weld me up a
light frame to drape black heavy duty plastic around to make a large oven of
sorts. This would be my post curing cycle using the sun to do the job. I would

think that this would also stress the UV smooth prime to an extent that it will

do its shrinking, cracking, or whatever then, rather than after the paint gets

sprayed.

I would like to hear any "been there  done that" or "watch  out
for this" stories or tips that any  of you may have out there. I noted that
recently Tony had issue with  making sure of a full smooth prime cure
before final painting. This routine  should more than cover any concern of
that nature.

Thanks,

Steve Hagar

A143